Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Strawberry Blueberry Scones



















I LOVE scones. I've made them several times, but each time I try and use whatever ingredients I have, like today for instance. This morning I looked into my cupboard and saw a can of condensed milk, and I thought to myself, "What can I use condensed milk for?....Scones!".






However, the
recipe that I found and desperately wanted to try called for buttermilk, which I didn't have and did not want to go spend money on. So I researched and discovered that you can
reconstruct the condensed milk by adding an equal amount of water, and then add 1 tablespoon of vinegar for each cup of milk that's reconstructed. BRILLIANT! So I decided to try this Blueberry Buttermilk Scone recipe, but added a few twists of my own. I added strawberries to the recipe and instead of all-purpose flour and cake flour, I did half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour. And instead of using regular sugar, I used baking splenda. So really, this is a healthier version of a delicious scone, or at least I'd like to think so. Enjoy!
















Makes 1 dozen
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or baking splenda)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (or condensed milk mixture!)
  • 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg lightly beaten for egg wash
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 3 teaspoons orange juice
  • Fine sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk together flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture has the texture of coarse meal. Stir in blueberries.
  3. Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, and the vanilla. Add chopped strawberries. Drizzle over flour mixture, and stir lightly with a fork until dough comes together but a small amount of flour remains in bowl.
  4. Turn out dough onto a work surface, and gently knead dough once or twice just to incorporate flour. (Be careful not to over-knead or the dough will be tough). Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round. Cut into 12 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 22 minutes. Transfer scones to wire racks to cool. Whisk confectioners sugar and orange juice together and drizzle on top!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I've actually never made scones before but have been dying to try! thanks for the great recipe girl! love your site :)

    Kristen @ www.simplysavor.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint